Hi, (I tried to send a previous group mail, but it doesn't appear to
have 'appeared') - sorry if this turns out to be a multiple post - some
probs have been resolved thanks to previous assistance.

Problems with a Diamond View scanner:

(my aim is to run all my periphs in Mandrake, so I can change completely
from win2000)

I found a site in which the following was suggested:

(http://www.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/2003-October/016686.html)

" 1. On the scanner's installation CD, in the drivers (I think Win98
drivers
dir), find 'u96v121.bin' and copy it to /dev/usb/u96v121.bin (or where
you
want your driver binaries - I know I'm a bit weird ;)

2. edit /etc/scan.d/snapscan.conf, changing the firmware line to read:
firmware /dev/usb/u96v121.bin

Be sure it points to the exact path where you put the binary!

And that's it! :) Now you can use Kooka or Xsane to do your scanning, or
scan from GIMP even!"
************
Now, from a response by another SLUG member, James, I gather I can't do
that - though someone responded to the above site saying it worked -
????

My scanner is supposed to be an Acer/Benq clone: 640U flatbed USB color
scanner.

When I run:
$ sane-find-scanner

  # No SCSI ...

Found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a5 [Color], product=0x2060 [
FlatbedScanner 13]) at libusb:001:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

********
scanimage -L  gives:
Device 'snapscan:libusb:001:002' is a Acer Flatbed Scanner 13

Also:
# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.

This is the only scanner - how do you assign permission?

When I run Xsane, I get (both as su and as patrick):

Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:001:002': invalid argument.

Kooka, on execution, sees the scanner, then when it opens completely, it
says - no scanner detected (in a little window at the bottom left)

BTW. When I installed SANE it was as a tar.gz - I didn't realise it was
on my Mandrake discs. I put the tar.gz in my downloads file and
installed. Now in my download file I have a file called
sane-backends-1.0.14.

I'm wondering if I should uninstall all SANE files etc and reload??

I *sort of* understand the directions in the SANE manual pages, but not
exactly and am concerned about doing something that.. well.. you know.
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-usb.5.html

$ chgrp scanner /dev/usb/scanner0
$ chmod 660 /dev/usb/scanner0

I don't know if my scanner is in fact /dev/usb/scanner0

Whilst:
cat /proc/bus/usb/devices/

Says "not a directory".

Thanks.