Hi Elliott-Brennan

I have just gone through this with a Acer 640u scanner
so what you have done so far is correct, the only other
thingI did different was to delete all the scanner
entries under /dev

This then allows libusb to handle the devices.
Note this was done using:
Linux 2.6.x
libusb
usbfs

mount the usbfs
mount -t usbfs -o defaults,devmode=0666 /proc/bus/usb none none

or in fstab add
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults,devmode=0666 0 0

Adjust permission as you see fit, though root should
work. I created a group scanner and adjusted the
owners, groups and perms, see man mount for details
on options for device mount options.