On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Jan Schmidt wrote:

> <quote who="Peter Chubb">
> > I suggest you get Bach to work ... fire up a mixer and make sure that
> > output is enabled from the CD and the volume control isn't on zero.
> > Then you can Lizten to your heart's content.
> >

> That may not be sufficient. On a lot of recent machines, the audio cable
> from the CD-ROM drive to the sound card is not installed. Windows Media
> Player uses CDDA digital extraction and then plays the music as if it were
> a wav file. This won't use the analog cable, and allows the visualisation
> effects they play (otherwise they'd have to capture the audio from the sound
> card).
>
> Which means that you need a CDDA based CD player to play them... which Gnome
> 2.8's CD player isn't, but 2.8.1's should be... the patch just missed the
> freeze date.
>
> Of course, this is not to say that your problem isn't just that the CD
> channel is turned down in your mixer :)

Thanks, Jan.. I now have both Mahler and Zeppelin.

I fired up alsamixer and fiddled with levels and toggles till sound came
out.

Now the cute little speaker icon on the desktop shows zero and is
non-functional. I don't care about that too much, but it certainly fails
the "Just Works" test espoused by Ubuntu. A non-technical person would
have no hope.

I'm also trying to set up GnomeMeeting, but even though I can induce
feedback using alsamixer (implying that both speakers and mike are
working), GnomeMeeting's test is implacably silent :( Ditto for
GnomeMeeting's video.

David.