> From: Ben de Luca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: SLUG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [SLUG] NSW Tender meeting
> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:07:59 +1000
>
> Do you think that being on the committee might give you a extra value
> from what is offered? With more members coming in is 100x times going
> to change to 10x?

I can't think of a reason that being on the committee should be an
advantage in getting engagements, and I don't think being on the
committee should be an advantage.  Right now, all the professional
engagements are through the SkillsBase, the OpenSkills-dev list, or just
word of mouth between members.  It's all pretty transparent.

OpenSkills is not the market, so demand for professional talent is not
really changed by OpenSkills.  We hope that OpenSkills is an efficient
way for people to find skilled help and so will become one of the first
places people will look, and thus we would expect that being a member
will give you an edge in marketing your skills.

> I saw the cost is around $20 a year? so open skills has brought you
> 2000? the time spent doing what ever you need to do with openskills
> might out way the benefit of the 2000? If the cost is so low $20 how
> does open-skills market it self?

Yes, membership of OpenSkills is $20 AUD / year.

<stuff about money was not asked of me, so I'll skip it>

OpenSkills currently markets itself by word of mouth.  The major systems
to help members make the most of their skills are coming on stream this
year.  For example, the membership management and effort tracking
systems are due to be rolled out < Christmas.

Once all the major systems are in place, we'll be looking at some more
explicit means of marketing ourselves.  If you have any suggestions as
to how we should do this, they would be most welcome.

> Does some one check that the people who list information list only true
> and correct information?

Well, to be a member you need to have your OpenPGP key signed by at
least two other members.  This gives us something of a handle on who
people really are, and makes it hard for a person to pretend to be many
people.

In the future, we will be adding in cross validation tools to the
SkillsBase.  The first would be a simple reference, where one member can
be a reference for another and agree to be called or emailed - as with a
regular reference you might get from an ex employer.  Then we'd like to
move on to commendations where one member can commend another for a
particular skill.  ... but we want to be careful and avoid game-able
features (e.g. where two members jointly praise each other to the
skies), so we'll move slowly.

So in short, we try to create a transparent situation where it's hard to
cheat.  We hope to avoid needing a central screening function.

HTH

All the best,
        Bruce
http://www.openskills.com