> traditionally matrox cards have always been top stuff, especially
> in the open source community.

If you want a decent open source support 3D graphics card, a Radeon
8500/9100 or FireGL 8800 are the best supported from a DRI point of view,

But the ATI closed-source drivers are v.crap,

and doom3 doesn't work on either open or closed drivers (we are putting a
bit of work into getting the open drivers supporting doom3 better at the
moment but how long it takes is anybodys guess...)

> granted nvidia and ati offer adequate (flame free) binary drivers
> now i understand. i ghave a few friends who now use linux as their
> gaming platform of choice and performance is noticable better than
> windows (not that it wasnt before)

Matrox are also from what I heard not great 3D cards they don't have the
featureset of either NVIDIA or ATI,

To be honest I think NVIDIA have done the best closed source job possible,
with ATI just looking like they release drivers because they feel they
should, and nobody gives specs for their newer cards out, which makes life
as a DRI developer a bit of a pain :-(..

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person