> Reduce your SWAP to between 1 X 1  to 1 X 2 RAM.
>
> Ideally 1 X 1 RAM-to-swap.

I know that's the standard recommendation one sees for creating swap partitions, but
I'm intrigued as to the reasons for your suggestion.  How does reducing the swap:ram
ratio improve performance?  I expect the kernel would be conservative about using swap
irrespective of how much there is.

1:1 RAM-to-swap is not at all ideal if your applications need 2Gb of memory and you've
only got 512Mb swap to go with your 512Mb RAM and the machine crashes.

My understanding is that having plenty of swap space isn't a bad thing if you can
spare the space and are likely to make use of it.  I'd like to know whether that's a
misconception that actually degrades performance, and why.

Cheers,
- Rog