<quote who="Michael Lake">
> Im a bit confused. Prob something simple.
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1968 Oct 27 15:25 report
>
> As mikel I can remove the file report.
>
> rm: remove write-protected regular file `report'? y
> done !
>
> as its -rw-r--r-- I should not be able to write to it or remove it.
> Im missing some basic understanding.

When you remove a file, it's the directory that's being modified to no
longer have the file in it.... hence it's the directory permissions that
matter.

J.
--
Jan Schmidt                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It is hard to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie
if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken