<quote who="Roger Barnes">

> In short, my question is, how is a lean kernel compilation going to
> provide an optimisation in speed?

Apart from skipping the one-time module loading cost, zero-zip-nada. :-) It
is fair to say that a monolithic kernel is slightly less open to attack, but
a modular kernel is only vulnerable (in the general case) when the attacker
has root privileges (which means, you're stuffed anyway).

Building your own kernel is yet more premature optimisation, although it can
be necessary for all kinds of other reasons (new drivers, etc).

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia         http://lca2005.linux.org.au/

   "You know, the crunchy, folk-singer part of me wants to believe that a
     performance is a dialogue, but I can't hear a fucking thing you're
                          saying." - Ani DiFranco