David Kempe wrote:
Arcfour: Use Arcfour encryption.

I believe this is a reimplementation of RC4 is anyone is interested what i means.

dave
Last time I checked, there was an interesting story about Arcfour.

Effectively, RC4 was a trade secret of RSA, but someone released the details of the algorithm to the Cypherpunks mailing list in September 1994.

As it was in the public domain, the trade secret status was lost, but RSA still has a trademark on the name "RC4". Hence, Arcfour.

It's actually specified in a (perhaps withdrawn) Internet Draft that's still mirrored on the Mozilla site, AFAIR.

Stream cipher, big problems with statistical attacks on the initial part of the generated keystream, it's the source of some of the problems with WEP in wireless stuff. Don't use with the same IV and Key, etc. Standard stream cipher stuff applies. Go read applied crypto if you want to know more.

Cheers,

Jordan