Hi Slugs,
just thought i'd post a solution for the slug archives.
after much scratching of head i created a log file eg: 192.x.x.x_25.log that same as the other logs.
this didn't work and still error messages in roots mail and other logs etc.
so I copied a working log file to the same name as the missing log file. voila all is working.
the log file had the same history as the other log file but as time went on it had different data and different graph.
don't know why "touch"ing the new file didn't work as the permissions were the same.
anyway all working now.
thanks to those who replied as it reminded me to check the logs!
Ben