Dan Treacy wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Ouch

a problem begging for perl as a solution!
James

Probably, but seeing as though my shell skills are half a step above totally crap and my perl skills are 4 steps below shell it is :-)

And thanks everyone for your suggestions I haven't had a chance to test any of them out. maybe tonight.

Dan.

If you're talking about inserting text at the beginning of a file, than perl has a tidy way of doing it all for you:

$ perl -pi -e "s/^/foobar\n/ if ($.==1);" test.file

That's pretty easy!

See the 'perlrun' manpage.
Doesn't seem to work if test.file is empty ie 0 lines.
Nice variation where you can say '-i.orig' and you will have the original stored with a '.orig' extension, or whatever you want.