Lyle Chapman wrote:

Has anyone got any ideas on how to speed up a swap space/drive,

Buy more RAM, it's cheap. Failing that, use the fastest part of the disk for the swap partition - that's the outer edge, or the first few sectors.

I have a 3ghz, 2gb ram, 2gb swap on ata machine running FC3. I create a lot of 3d material and run into swap usage with big scenes. This is ok but after a while i end up having to restart the machine or turn the swap off then on as it becomes extremely slow to do anything and at times X will quit or the 3d app I am using.

Use the VM information in top or Gnome System Monitor to find out exactly which app is eating all your RAM.

Would it be feasible to use a SCSI drive and split it up into multiple 2gb swap partitions or has anyone got a better suggestion.

Multiple swap partitions won't help if they're on the same physical device. It will if they're on different disks.

Mike