Russell Hudson wrote:
Can you advise on a make of printer that is compatible with the Linux
operating system, or even a particular model of mono laser printer,
hopefully for less than $350?

Hi Russell,
You can find a database of compatible printers from www.linuxprinting.org.
I would tend to recommend the HP laserjets, I am pretty sure the 1015 works with linux.
OK, I checked that myself and it only works partially due to some firmware bug. bugger. so maybe you are stuck with a kyocera fs1010.
they work ok as printers and will work fine in linux.

http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Kyocera-FS-1010

tho that would be $475 worth of printer. maybe with some digging and cross referencing to computer vendor sites you can do better...

cups would be the way to go.

dave