Hi,

I have just been installing Debian on an IBM 300GL PC with an embedded Crystal/Cirrus cs89x0 ethernet adapter (which is a supported adapter). It all works well, _except_ that the install process doesn't recognise the adapter (and I haven't been able to do it manually with insmod - I get 'Device or resource busy' and I've checked that the io and irq resources are free). From what I've been able to discover searching around, the problem is likely to be that the adapter comes pre-configured with 'Plug and Play' enabled and that prevents the driver talking to the adapter.

But, to change the setting you apparently need a DOS setup utility that I haven't been able to find. Both Cirrus and IBM provide links to the driver (broken in IBM's case) but not the utility and neither have responded to email requests.

I know this problem has come up previously on this list and one of the participants had found the utility, so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction (or even supply a copy of the DOS utility)? Failing that I will try slotting in another adapter.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Cheers,

Stuart