I cannot get Thunderbird to open as the default for Firefox when clicking on an e-mail like in Ffox.

Sorry that I don't have the solution but it might cheer you to know that I'm running firefox 1.0 and thuderbird 1.0 on a non-gnome login (enlightenment) and it works fine for me. All I did was install both products (I think firefox was installed first) and did nothing special to be able to both; click on a mailto: link in firefox and have a compose window open in thunderbird, or click on a http: link in thunderbird and have it open in the firefox browser.

My only gripe is that prior to this, in mozilla 1.6... you could right click on a link in the e-mail browser and open the page in a new tab, where as thunderbird doesn't appear to support this, it opens it in the active tab replacing the page of interest you might have open (I guess it's trying to be browser neutral).

Dunno if this helps but a least you know that it can work.

P.