Yeah I remember looking this thing up on google, and the USB Sound Blaster thing is listed as having poor support and being flaky at best in Linux. Even if you do get it to work, the levels are horrible and the sound quality is the same.

I talked to a guy who tried everything to get his USB Sound Blaster box going even recompiled the kernel wrote a custom modprobe script hacked hotplug and it was still horrible (but it worked).