Richard> Yeah I remember looking this thing up on google, and the USB
Richard> Sound Blaster thing is listed as having poor support and
Richard> being flaky at best in Linux. Even if you do get it to work,
Richard> the levels are horrible and the sound quality is the same.

Well it works an awful lot better than the internal card.  I can
actually record CD-quality sound, and it seems OK, providing I select
PCM1 as the input and adjust the levels appropriately.  It seems to want
much higher levels, rather than the standard 600mV into 600ohms I'm
used to, but it does work, has a reasonable noise floor, and the A-->D
converter seems reasonably linear --- good enough for my purposes.

Unfortunately it doesn't have an external power supply, and filtering
on the USB power supply is not quite adequate.  It's OK when I'm on
battery, but noisy if the laptop is plugged into the mains.  And the
documentation is not on the hardware, but on the windows+hardware
combination, and it's useless to me.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately,  the political takes *forever*