On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 13:09 +1000, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> I have a windows based CD that I would like to install and use with
> Wine. The setup.exe prog crashes.
>
> What's the best way to proceed? is there anyway to extract and install
> without using the setup.exe program?

There's a number of ways; it's highly dependent on how the setup.exe
program works. However, I happened to be looking into something for
entirely separate reasons just last night and discovered this:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257718

Which might help you out. IIRC, the MSI installer program (instmsi.exe)
does run under wine, so getting an MSI file should be enough to get you
up and running.

All that said, there might be an easier way depending on your app. What
wine version? What program? What type of installer is it? (nullsoft,
installshield, etc).

HTH,

James.

--