Hi Jill

We have a few vmware servers but are really we still rampping up.

I think you will want vmware esx which installs straight on your hardware.
It costs a little more than gsx, an lots more than workstation, but is more
efficient. vware's rule of thumb is 4 servers on gsx and 8 on esx.
Using either server version allows mulitple admins to work at vmware,
creating machines. You can control who stop's and start machines ...

You will want a dual cpu system at least.

You will probably want to buy the 'VIN' rather than straight esx. It will
give you the ablity for your virtual machines to use both CPUs. It also
allows some other stuff which is funky but you will need at least 2 vmware
server to use it.

You need to check vmware's SAN compatablity list. I just got hit with a
nasty "no linux virtual machines on NetApp cluster".

Your ideal world is at list 2 vmware 'VIN's connected to a SAN with the
virtual admin console so you can vmotion live machines between system.

Have fun.

BB

on Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:47:19AM +1000, Rowling, Jill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bevan Broun
Systems Engineer
THALES
Services Division (an ADI company)