Just some comments as I work as an IT Manager in a school, see inline

This is pretty much true - however boys are more inquisitive about
hardware, girls generally just want to use them. Sounds sexist but is
based on 30 years in schools.

> - teachers have some say in schools, though not the final say
> - the hip-pocket does appeal to teachers as they have budgets to work
> within usually

As pointed out later the cost of MS Software is almost negligible when
on the Schools Agreement or Select Agreement, this is on a per system
basis. The Schools Agreement for instance, last time I checked would
cost me over $15,000 per year.

> - teachers in general are not interested in the FOSS debate,
> they don't
> care. They simply want whatever will get their job done with
> the least
> inconvenience to them, which means they have no loyalty
> necessarily to
> any particular type of software as long as it is easy to use
> (familiarity does come into it here though) and does the job.

Most teachers have been steamrolled by the MS juggernaut - if it ain't
Windows or MS Office then ain't any good and they aren't going to learn

> - some teachers do struggle with the idea of free (as in
> beer) software
> and think it is therefore of a lesser quality than paid for software
> - for schools, the cost of Windows/Office is negligible even
> though it
> adds up. For starters Windows cost is included in the PC anyway. The
> cost of Office (around $80 per licence last I looked) is somewhat
> outweighed by less stress from teachers who are used to
> Office and hence

This is on the Select Agreement, these are non-upgradeable licences, if
you have MS Office 2000 and want to go to 2003 then buy all the licences
again.

> bursars/business managers/principals are less hassled by staff. I've
> never met a bunch of people more unwilling to learn something
> different
> than teachers.

Amen!!!!!!!!!! If students were as recalcitrant as teachers they would
all be on detention every day for failure to even try!

> - there is a lot of scope of FOSS in libraries, but again
> there is the
> idea that free cannot be quality
> - educational software being available for Linux is a problem, so
> perhaps a push for FOSS that runs on Windows/MAC as well. It
> needs to be
> targeted obviously - eg a D&T teacher would want to know
> what FOSS CAD
> and design applications there are. I've had some success with
> this sort
> of thing - eventually the only thing keeping them on Windows
> is Office.

I find it is not Office but the range of other educational software,
where the market is too small for authors to do more than a Windows
version.
I have put teachers into OO and not told them - just said it was a new
version of Word - they were quite happy!

> That is the hardest to convert. Yes, there is OpenOffice and
> so on, but
> as I said before teachers really HATE learning new stuff that is not
> directly in their sphere - they just want to get down to
> teaching, and
> learning a new office package is just a nuisance. Perhaps a
> flyer with
> some web sites that list available FOSS software or FOSS
> related sites even?

Teachers have an education mentality, students can't learn unless they
teach them, therefore they can't do anything new unless someone runs a
course in it. The biggest push I believe to move teachers over to non-MS
solutions would be the provision of frequent, cheap training courses
(complete with dodgy certificates!)

Students are generally very adaptable and will take on a range of
software and solutions.