Gottfried Szing wrote:
# cd /proc

^^^^^^^

# ls -l kc*
-r--------    1 root     root     948887552 Apr 15 18:41 kcore

what is it and do I need it ..?

It's a core dump of memory. Do: size core

and it will tell you what program dumped it, and then think back to what
you were doing with that proggy at 18:41 on 15 Apr and think what might
have gone wrong; otherwise rm -f kcore

i think you haved missed that the file is in the proc-directory and
therefore it is not a "real" file with that size.

Oops. My bad. :)

the files in the proc-fs
are just snapshots of kernel-internal datastructures and other stuff like
configuration and statistics. so removing the file should not be possible
(i have never tried it).

from my kernel doc (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt)

=====================
 kcore       Kernel core image (can be ELF or A.OUT(deprecated in 2.4))
=====================

so, never worry about files in the /proc because they do not use "real"
hard disk space.

cu

-- Howard. LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people <http://lannet.com.au> -- When you just want a system that works, you choose Linux; When you want a system that just works, you choose Microsoft. -- Flatter government, not fatter government; Get rid of the Australian states.
begin:vcard
fn:Howard Lowndes
n:Lowndes;Howard
org:LANNet Computing Associates
adr:;;PO Box 1174;Lavington;NSW;2641;Australia
email;internet:howard [AT] lowndes [DOT] name
tel;work:02 6040 0222
tel;fax:02 6040 0222
tel;cell:0419 464 430
note:I am heartily sick and tired of telemarketers, therefore I do not answer phone calls which do not present Caller Line Identification, they get flicked to voicemail.  I apologise if this inconveniences you, and I respect your right to not identify yourself, but I also ask that you respect my right to not answer your call if you choose not to identify yourself.  Try dialing 1832 (#32# from mobiles) before the number, to present Caller Line Identification.
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.lannet.com.au
version:2.1
end:vcard