Ryan Verner wrote:
On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 18:15 +1000, Denis Crowdy wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to install ubuntu on a G4 powerbook from an external firewire CD/DVD drive. The internal drive has had it. Basically I have access to two powerbooks - lucky me but here's the catch - one has a fsckd up hard drive, the other a fsckd up CD drive. Maddening.

Boot up one of the Powerbooks in "Firewire target mode" (hold down T or
F on booting, off memory).  You'll get presented any devices on the
Powerbook to the other Powerbook that way (HD, DVD, et al - even any
USB/Firewire storage devices plugged into it too, I believe).
OK - will try that. Had some success with getting yaboot running from openfirmware with (from the openfirmware prompt):

boot fw/node/sbp-2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:2,\\yaboot

Then yaboot complains about not finding device cd:0; have tried fw as a device (giving an ieee1394 not recognised or somesuch) even ofboot=fw/node/sbp-2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]: which spins the firewire CD drive, but ends up in a message about a file not being readable. Close but no cigar.

I don't really know enough about yaboot and can't seem to find anything obviously relevant in the BootPrompt HOWTO. Ubuntu forum might be the go perhaps...

Thanks,

Denis

--
Denis Crowdy
Department of Contemporary Music Studies