Adam,

You can use cron(tab), but you'd need to set the DISPLAY variable appropriately:

DISPLAY=:0  xprogram >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

That's assuming the cron job is running as the same user and same host as the X display. It gets a little complicated otherwise.

Your question does seem a bit odd though. If you had mentioned what&why you are really trying to achieve, then perhaps there would be a better or more appropriate way...

With a cron job, you'll get an error if the program is ever run when X isn't (e.g. just after booting) - hence the redirects to /dev/null for regular output above. It may be better to just run a sleeping, looping script in the background as part of your login scripts.

Cheers,

 - Simon