On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Rob Sharp wrote:

> Found this whilst reading about 'iPod slurping' and remembered this thread.
>
> http://www.sharp-ideas.net/archives/000049.html
>
> "The premise of RPC-Mail is simple. Construct an e-mail message that
> has a command that you want one of your remote PCs to execute. Send
> the e-mail to a special account that is only used by RPC-Mail. Have
> the remote PC set up with a scheduled task or cron job to periodically
> execute the application RPC-Mail.py. When RPC-Mail.py executes, it
> parses all of the subject lines and message bodies of e-mail messages
> that it finds. If the message body contains a special passphrase,
> RPC-Mail executes the subject line as a command, and returns standard
> output as an e-mail message."
>
> Might be of use to you.

You mean like uux from the UUCP suite?
Vaguely remember something like this:-
$ uux 'remote.host.name.com.au!netstat -ln'

In the beginning there was cp, then there was uucp (Unix-to-Unix copy) via
serial port & analogue modems, then there was TCP/IP mid 1970's, then
there was UUCP over TCP/IP, then there was SMTP in the mid 1980's.

UUCP was fully redundant, could handle push or pull from either end, was
transactional and you always knew whether the mail/files got there or not
and exactly what went on with remote execution. I would say RPC via UUCP
would be an excellent choice for intermittent links.

We used it for EDI gateways at Corporate Express (ie transfer of all
orders and invoices to/from the mainframe). I think they've now stepped up
to building a proper RPC type interface as it became necessary for more
real-time interaction - but that required significant effort.

If you want your system hacked however, consider this in /etc/aliases
yourname: | grep ^Subject: | cut -c8- | bash

Note that most default sendmail installations will at least whinge
about this (at least the ones released this century).

--
Grant Parnell - SLUG President
or email us at paidsupport at elx.com.au

ELX or its employees participate in the following:-
OSIA (Open Source Industry Australia) - http://www.osia.net.au
AUUG (Australian Unix Users Group) - http://www.auug.org.au
SLUG (Sydney Linux Users Group) - http://www.slug.org.au
LA (Linux Australia) - http://www.linux.org.au