On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 17:31 +1000, Peter Hardy wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 15:29 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've just had a graphics card die on me and I'm looing for a
> > replacement. Here's what I'm after:
> >
> >    - Easily/currently available
> >    - Less that $150
> >    - Must have open source drivers (I dislike binary only
> >      drivers intensely)
> >
> > Anyone have anything to recommend?
>
> I recently picked up an ATI Radeon 9250. They're fairly new and readily
> available. I got mine up from EYO for... around $70 I think.  There's a
> binary driver, but the open source driver in the x.org server has almost
> all of the same features. I think the only thing missing is the hardware
> T&L support? Others can probably provide more detail.

I'd be looking for a card with an R200 chipset - IMO, they're the best
supported by open source drivers with hardware 3D. I'm quite happy using
DRI on the Radeon Mobility 9000 in my laptop, for example.

The parts the open source drivers don't have by comparison to the ATI
drivers:
  * Pixel shader support
  * FS Antialias
  * Reported slight performance drop

I think that's it. They certainly do hardware T&L nicely.

J.