On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:56:25 +1000
Sridhar Dhanapalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<SNIP>
> Is the sudo-type setup employed by Ubuntu the same as that used in Mac
> OS X?  Also, are there any security implications of this? Doesn't it
> mean that in a  default setup, any local user can gain root access?
> Please correct me if I'm  wrong.

I think that it is wrong. The first user created during installation has
"sudo" privileges. Users created later do not.

In fact, it seems to me
that later users have (by default) too few privileges, at least for use
in a home environment. I'm not saying that is wrong, but in a home
environment you probably want to allow secondary users to use the CD,
connect to the Internet, audio devices, etc. The default new user has
none of these rights. Dead easy to add them through the graphical
user/group controls though.

Alan

> --
> Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
>   {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc
>    0x049D38B4 : A7A9 8A02 78CB AB1B FCE4 EEC6 2DD9 249B 049D 38B4}
>
> FYI, XP doesn't stand for "eXPerience". It's just an emoticon.

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 428 148 071
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662