At Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:16:04 +1000, Michael Kraus wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with Asterisk (or any other) open source
> PABX software, and wouldn't mind commenting?

My comments:

Asterisk developers prioritises new features over stability and
particularly clean code.  There's a *whole* lot of cruft in the
Asterisk code base - lots of features are hacked directly into the
channel drivers (particularly the zaptel one), so don't expect new
feature combinations to work without testing it.

The Asterisk community is by and large made up of people who can't
code and don't really know what they're doing.  Because of this there
is a huge amount of "disinformation" and rumours about certain
features/bugs.  Basically treat anything you read with scepticism and
learn enough about things so you can work through them yourself.

Asterisk is a nice toolkit with some good ideas (and a few bad ones).
If you want to use it in real-life situations, I recommend reading the
code to see what it actually does and reaching a point where you feel
comfortable doing trivial changes to some of the hard-coded (typically
American) defaults.

--
 - Gus