Phil Scarratt wrote:

I know nautilus allows this sort of thing,

Not sure what underlying distro you're using with LTSP, but if it's a gnome distro then this _may_ be of use.

Thanks Phil,

but...

When I first saw Nautilus a thought it was going to be a really neat piece of gear, but I'm so disappointed with it. I just find it unusable and the end users don't like it either.

What my users want is a simple tool to browse their local disk, and those of other PC's on the local lan, and then either open files by double click or move/copy by drag and drop. Forget the skins, forget the fancy colours and image backgrounds and other stuff, lets just do the basics well and simply.

So far I've got XFe as the file manager and it does a great job except it isn't smb share aware. xsmbrowser works ok to a degree but again the layout is not exactly logical and it's not integrated with the file browser.

Linux on the desktop using terminal server approach, it's a losing battle with the users I'm afraid. I could of course write my own file / network explorer, but I don't have the time nor the skill. Sometimes I think I might just give in to the PC on each desktop mentality. Maybe not as neat from a technology stand point, but then it's not my design nor responsibility and it's what most users are used to.

P.