On Monday 12 September 2005 13:15, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
> > Digital Star (http://www.digitalstar.com.au) also have OS-less laptops on
> > offer.  From their main page, follow the link to "BTO Notebooks" or
> > simply go here:
> > http://www.digitalstar.com.au/_PowerNoteComparisonChart.aspx
>
> OK, they have some nice looking machines and the "no OS"
> option is $120 cheaper than windows ex-pee home. Now if
> only they would also pre-install Linux so I knew everything
> worked :-(.

The basic CPU+mainboard+display stuff will work for basically any laptop (in
my experience).  The trick is to take a Knoppix CD etc into the shop and do
an lspci....but that kinda defeats the purpose of buying online eh?

Give them a call and see if they can send you the output of an lspci etc.  You
might be surprised :)

James
--
Them as has, gets.