Ian Wienand wrote:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:22:06PM +1000, Richard Hayes wrote:

I need to do a demo of signal graphing, so I though I would use MRTG.

What non-SNMP / MIB2 data sources are available?

It's very easy to plug an arbitrary non SNMP data source into MRTG.
The output just needs to be in the format
Line 1
    current state of the first variable, normally 'incoming bytes
    count'
Line 2
    current state of the second variable, normally 'outgoing bytes
    count'
Line 3
    string (in any human readable format), telling the uptime of the
    target.
Line 4
    string, telling the name of the target.

As an example, openupsmart (openupsmart.sf.net) when running will give
status output on a port like this :

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ /usr/pkg/sbin/nc localhost 8740
248.0
58.0
28 days, 21 hours, 46 minutes, 35 seconds
OpenUPSmart

This can be snarfed into MRTG with a target like

Target[ups]: `/usr/pkg/sbin/nc localhost 8740`
MaxBytes[ups]: 300
Title[ups]: UPS Statistics
PageTop[ups]: <H1>UPS Statistics</H1>
YLegend[ups]: Power Statistics
ShortLegend[ups] : &nbsp;
LegendI[ups]: &nbsp;Volts
LegendO[ups]: &nbsp;Load
options[ups]: gauge, nopercent

You could use openupsmart if you wanted; there is a UPS "simulator"
included in the source which you could quite easily modify to return
some sort of reasonable random variables to make it look real.
(http://openupsmart.sourceforge.net/mrtg/ups.html is a sample of
actual data)

Probably easier to just write your own dummy device, though.

Or use a little Perl to snarf stuff out of proc.  Then
you could start Firefox and watch the amount of resident
set memory increase, the network traffic increase, the
CPU usage increase, etc.  If your PC runs SMART and
sensors you can also plot longer term stuff such as the
disk and CPU getting hotter.

--
 Glen Turner         Tel: (08) 8303 3936 or +61 8 8303 3936
 Australia's Academic & Research Network  www.aarnet.edu.au