On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 19:38 +1000, David wrote:
> I just used a live CD for the first time (Ubuntu), and as good as it is,
> all I really want is a shell for diagnostics. It took ages to install.
>
> Can anyone suggest a live distro that either doesn't have X at all, or has
> an option to bypass it. Naturally it would be nice if it was reasonably
> modern with most of the latest drivers etc.
>
> I've looked at the Knoppix website, but that looks similar in concept to
> Ubuntu.

systemrescuecd-x86-0.2.15.iso has a few useful programs and fits on a
small (8cm) CD. INSERT-1.3.5a_en.iso is even smaller (50MB) and fits on
a business card sized CD. dsl-1.5.iso is a small general purpose distro
which also fits on a business card sized CD.

Puppy fits on a small USB stick. Current version is 1.0.4 with 1.0.5 due
out next week.

cheers,
Ken