Robert Collins wrote:

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 22:40 +1000, O Plameras wrote:
This means that there is going to be minimal improvements from
a 32-bit to 64-bit PCs.
I had wanted to buy a 64-bit CPU, but with this I will defer.
I need to check that documentation re AMD64.

ROTFL.

You might want to check void * pointers too, oh, and as for
improvements, that depends on much more than simple data type sizess.

I was anticipating 64-bit will give similar improvements in speed
from a 16-bit to 32-bit machine. I have a good idea of the change
in speed from 16-bit to 32-bit. It appears this is not going to be
the case with 16-bit to 32-bit.

The so-called 64-bit is really not 64-bit. The registers are still
32-bit, it appears without having gone through the arch-docs.

Yes, sizeof(void *) I've assumed to be correct between 32-bit and
64-bit machines. Thanks, just the same.

--
O Plameras
http://www.acay.com.au/~oscarp/tutor