On Fri Sep 30, 2005 at 02:05:16 +1000, James Gray wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:36, Benno wrote:
>> On Thu Sep 29, 2005 at 19:59:01 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>> >O Plameras wrote:
>> >
>> >For just about everything you can do with a pointer in C there is
>> >a better, easier, less error prone way to do the same thing in
>> >O'caml and write less lines of code to do it. The one exception
>> >I can thing of is writing devices drivers and operating systems
>> >where you need to direct access to harware.
>>
>> Ok, you really want to make me learn O'Caml, and augment it so that
>> is can write device drivers, and access hardware directly, because
>> C is a totally inadequate language for writing device drivers.
>
>I think you got Eric's logic arse-about.  He was say O'caml is good for
>almost anything EXCEPT writing device drivers.  Not the other way around.

I know, but I don't agree with him. If the language is good, there is no
reason why it *shouldn't* be used for device driver programming.

Device drivers are, in general, buggy pieces of crap, so having a higher
level language to program them in would be a *really* good thing.

I've written bindings to allow you to program drivers in python
before, unfortunately the result wastoo slow :(. So a higher level
compiled language like O'Caml might be kind of cool.

No sarcasm intended.

Benno