On Tuesday 06 December 2005 09:20, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 08:41 +1100, Matt Moor wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > This was one of those buzz-wordy type things a few years ago, and some
> > of the big consumer network device companies put out product. I didn't
> > hear about any of them reaching 100Mbit/s, though - and I'd be really
> > surprised if they did, given the number of pairs available in your
> > standard phone line (CAT3, as others have mentioned).
> >
> > You will need special hardware, as listed on the homepna.org site you
> > linked, and I'm not sure what linux support is like. The equipment would
> > also need to be AUSTel certified to be legal in australia (Perhaps not
> > for a PABX system? Dunno if it would even work in this environment)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Matt
> >
> > P.S. If it's not AUSTel certified, but you want to take the risk, you'd
> > want to know the difference between the US phone network (voltage, etc),
> > and the australian one.
>
> AIUI austel certification only kicks in if you are connecting the thing
> to the phone network. If you happen to have a bunch of copper in the
> walls, that is not connected to the public network - it does not apply.

And by "connected to the public network" they mean "in any way through any
device".  So even if you isolate your network from the public one with a
router or modem etc, you're still deemed to be "connected".  Not sure if
you're still deemed to be connected if the external/public link is wireless
though (they are more concerned about electrical isolation than spurious
data).

At tleast this was how the regs were written back in '95 when I was AUSTel
Certified.  Things may have changed - usual disclaimers apply.

James
--
It is surely a great calamity for a human being to have no obsessions.
- Robert Bly