On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 03:08:14PM +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:12:26AM +1100, Alexander Samad wrote:

> > > If you have a static IPv4 address you can use either the AARNet IPv6
> > > tunnel broker (reasonably okay) or 6to4 address (tends to have higher
> > > latency due to dog-leg routing).
> > >
> > > If you have a dynamic IPv4 you really want to be using the AARNet IPv6
> > > broker.
> >
> > I have a bunch of script run to update dyndns, ipsec and a few other
> > things, so just tacked on a bit to update the ipv6 address associated
> > with the dynamic
>
> Well, that means that your IPv6 prefix is being updated each time you
> get a new address.  There is lots of pain associated with that
> (renumbering is easier with IPv6 but on-the-fly router renumbering is
> still being worked out).
Yep, but I use it only for out bound, the static is my inbound one,
it was a challenge to be done at the time.

> > > The site-local prefix (fe80) has been deprecated (rfc3879), instead you
> > > want IPv6 local addresses (rfc4193) which you can self-generate with
> > > tools such as:
> > >   http://www.hznet.de/tools/generate-uniq-local-ipv6-unicast-addr.sh
> > So much reading to do and so little time, just to save me time reading
> > the rfc's can I still use those address, i will get around to it, but
> > haven't had a need to follow up in ipv6, but maybe now I do 8)
>
> Basically:
>       RFC3330 (or RFC1918) specifies a number of 'private use' IPv4
>       addresses: 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/16 and 192.168.0.0/16
>
>       Strangely enough most people and organisations that deploy
>       private-use IPv4 address tend to pick the same ones (so
>       192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24 are very common).
>
>       If you then have to connect two 192.168.1.0/24 networks together
>       you end up having to do double-NAT and installing lots of
>       'funky' routes in various routers.
>
>       There are a lot of other issues (described in RFC3879) as well,
>       so the solution is to allow people to generate their own prefix
>       but which isn't routed. So long as the generated prefix is
>       unique, you can then connect two (or more) 'private use' IPv6
>       networks together without having to worry about address
>       collision.
>
>       The shell script just generates an address prefix for you to
>       use.
Understand

> > > You mean 6to4, however the 6to4 anycast address (::192.88.99.1) is
> > > normally provided by the topologically closest network -- at the moment
> > > that is switzerland as neither AARNet nor Telstra advertise reachability
> > > of their 6to4 service.
> > yep, I found one through japan as well, I use it as a fall back
>
> Think about it.  The one in Japan (I'm assuming you are talking about
> kddilab.6to4.jp) _is_ advertising itself via anycast.
Sorry I think I have thrown a spanner in here, at some point in time
when I was setting this up, the ::192.88.99.1 address resolved to an
address in japan, not switzerland.  The ping times to swit was around
400ms and the japan one was around 200ms, so right now I have 2 with
metrics attached, 1 goes to 192.231.212.5 with is ~12ms and the second
goes to ::192.88.99.1.  Its been working, haven't bothered to play with
it for a while.  But looks like there has been some changes worth my
time again.

> The fact that you aren't using it when you use 192.88.99.1 means that it
> is topologically closer to route via switzerland than japan.  Picking
> that one means you are increasing your own latency.
>
> > Sounds like you have been playing with it for while ?
>
> Yes
>
> > for work or fun
>
> Both
What is the work angle, if you can discuss or off line or .... Just
interested to see what is happening in the real work world with ipv6