On Wed Dec 21, 2005 at 17:57:36 +1100, O Plameras wrote:
>Benno wrote:
>
>>On Wed Dec 21, 2005 at 17:35:43 +1100, O Plameras wrote:
>>

>>>It seems to me, that this argument is becoming about "you said these and
>>>I said
>>>these" but NOTHING about what really matters and that is how Ubuntu
>>>implement SMP.
>>>
>>>To me,then, this is not about me or you, what I said and what you said;
>>>this is about what Ubunto
>>>does as far as SMP is concerned.
>>>
>>>You are saying that the previous posts are about what Ubunto does when
>>>implementing UP.
>>>
>>>So, what about what Ubunto does when it implements SMP ?
>>>

>>From Jeff's post:
>>

>>>1) Ubuntu currently ships and supports separate packages for UP and SMP
>>> kernels
>>>

>>Is there something more to the question than that? They have the normal
>>kernel
>>source and compile it twice, once UP, once SMP. It then ships a package
>>for each
>>of these.
>>
>>Or is the question about how the Linux *kernel* implement SMP?
>>

>It was shown what spinlock is for UP.
>
>What is spinlock for SMP ?

<sigh>

So you are asking how the Linux *kernel* implements SMP. This has nothing
to do with Ubuntu.

I'm sure you can look this up in the kernel code yourself. The place to
start looking is in include/linux/spinlock.h, and include/asm-i386/spinlock.h

It isn't really worth spamming the whole list with the obtuse x86 assembler.

Cheers,

Benno