ive run 100mbps over cat3 before. if it will do it will vary
greatly as a result of distance, interferance, copper quality
etc.

10mbps may also have the advantage of cheap second hand hardware.
a nice highly managed (what is fully managed?? really?) 10mbps switch
costs nothing, and the internet link likely wouldnt give more
than 10mbps. so yeah. 10mbps would be a suitable solution, but
100mpbs might work.

Dean

Howard Lowndes wrote:
I have a client with a large motel complex that wants to run bb to the
rooms.

All of the rooms have standard telephone cable, but he cannot justify
the cost of a full Cat 5 cabling job.  Wifi is out as well as the
internal walls are brick and he has tried and has got nowhere with that
idea.

Is Austel telephone cable Cat 3 compliant?  At least with Cat 3 we can
run his network at 10Mbps even if we can't get 100Mbps.  I don't think
it is Cat 3 compliant though.

Any other ideas?

--
WWW: http://deanpatrick.tk