On Thursday 19 January 2006 09:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I was thinking that my desktop is not being used anymore and I have seen
> a theatre setup at a friends place and I could easily recycle the
> computer and buy a data projector to do this.
>
> There are a couple of requirements that I am unsure of:
> - system would need a remote for ease of use for guests
> - How do you run a play station through a computer?
>
> Regarding data projectors, anything to watch out for?  Is second hand
> worth it?
>
> For digital recording is mythtv the way to go?
> Does it transfer well to a low spec laptop for viewing?
> Does it work with the "evil empire" computers?

mythtv, like thunderbird, is delightfully full of promise, but not so good in
the gritty detail.
myth works, and the user interface is streets better than any commercial PVRs
that I've looked at eg Toshiba, although Humax looks to be better.

It does not transfer to low-spec view platform, easier to have low spec
server. EG I cannot watch HD with P4-3G + GT6600, only SD.

It does NOT work with the borg's toys.

Several friends use Xp media center to run DVB stuff, all have the occasional
hang, freeze, etc. None has managed a multi-tuner setup.

I know of no other solution that *works* (other than myth) ie you can *see*
DVB with some tools, but not stuff you'd leave your wife to do!

Michael Fox has had some success with myth, ask him to summarise ...

James