On Saturday 18 March 2006 07:47, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I resend this email in text mode since somebody complaint about the
> first HTML version, which apparently could only be read in text mode
> incl. all formatting characters etc., additionally apparently loading
> your server unnecessarily due to HTML mode.
>
> I am new to Linux (RH C4) and after some weeks of stuffing around to get
> even the basics working, I am asking for help.
>
> My setup:
>
> Mobo            D945GTP (onboard Sigmatel audio, onboard video)
>
> Processor       Intel P640
>
> RAM             1GB, 2GB L2 Cache
>
> HDD             2 off SATAII, WD 160GB in raid 0,
>                 incl. prim. Active C:/ partition with XP Pro SP1
>
> HDD             1 off SATAII, SG 160GB NTFS, 1 swap partition 2GB,
>                 1 Linux root partition 15GB)
>
> Monitor         Hitachi CML171SXW
>
> Modem           External Siemens SpeedStream 4200 (as supplied by
>                 Telstra Bigpond), presently used via USB connection,
>                            Ethernet connected to 2nd PC for 2nd Internet
>                 connection.
[snip]

Some quick advice, I have just setup a box in the UK for my father-in-law by
phone (pain & suffering) but it's working:

Someone reccomends ubuntu, maybe I don't remember the sys-admin, I strongly
reccomend SuSE, get 9.3 not 10.

Try to resolve your raid as painlessly as you can. Motherboards don't do real
raid. Google for fake-raid. Avoid raid here (there ARE good arguments for,
just a noobie, motherboard raid uuurgh, tooo hard)

Avoid the USB modem. Again real-linux-users can probably make it work, but
ordinary mortals will suffer. I bought him a Speedtouch 516 router for UK$
30. Get an ethernet router!

Once you have setup the router (under windoes perchange) then you can start to
play
James