This one time, at band camp, Terry Collins wrote:
>James Gray wrote:
>
>> Other reasons why Alpha's wont work....well, that would require them to at
>> least have power.
>>
>> Not much help, but what does "dead in the water" really mean in this case?
>
>Okay, both machines have done at least 10 years in Australia and haven't
>left the country  since arrival {:-).
>
>Dead in the water is that when a power cord is inserted into the back at
>the power supply (no switch on rear), there are no lights anywhere.
>
>The 2000(?) comes with dual power supplies and was suppossed to be a
>going unit.
>
>I know one power supply was making heat because a short smell occurred,
>but no lights on front. I was assuming that it would run on one power
>supply (2nd as failover/backup) and that when power is applied, that if
>I hit the right switch/button (1 of 3) on front that something would happen.

I'd start by looking for the source of the short smell, if you let out the
magic smoke then a replacement PSU and burnt components may be in order.  If
you're lucky the magic smoke came from within the PSU and it should be easy
to replace.

You might try testing output voltages on the PSU and making sure they're
consistent with the documentation you found (assuming that you get that
information in those docs).