Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="O Plameras">

I'm pretty comfortable with my knowledge of online etiquette. I'm not so
comfortable with your knowledge of SLUG's.
Google tells me that there are over 5Mega Articles that disagrees with
you.

Oscar, over many years, we have adapted the culture of SLUG towards one that
does not use the term "RTFM". The term is not helpful, it is not kind, and
it is not what we want this LUG or list to be about. In some ways, it is the
antithesis of a productive and approachable LUG mailing list in a single
acronym.

Jeff, I remember a few years back. You were President of SLUG and you had to resign. You dropped the ball unceremoniously and its time you let the Slug Committee run SLUG. You really missed up.

You should just leave the policy making to the Slug Committee. Your time is over.

There are vastly more useful ways to communicate than to use this annoying,
unfortunate, unwelcoming term. Especially when it involves new participants
in the LUG's activities or mailing list.

It really doesn't matter what wikipedia or random crap you've found on
Google has to say about it -- the use of "RTFM" is *not* something we want
to encourage in SLUG. It's a cultural thing. If you don't understand it,
that's fine. But please observe the culture of this community, and what it
stands for.

(I can't believe it's 2006, and we're still asking people to stop using
"RTFM". No flying cars, either.)

- Jeff