> Hi,
>       I'm looking at my website logs (using the webalizer package) and
> most of the hits seem to be some sort of robot (Google tops the bill
> at 24% of the hits,  9.7Gbytes downloaded this month so far... but
> then we see them as the chief external referring website as well)
>

> How can I easily filter out all the 'bots and get an estimate of how
> many *real* people are using the website?  It used to be relatively
> easy when there were fewer search engines, but now there seem to be
> dozens.

robots.txt is your friend here. Gives you a lot of control over the bots
that adhere to the standard.

Heres a good link to peruse for info on robots.txt

http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html

Of course this only affects those bots that recognise robots.txt. There
are some that are either broken or deliberately ignore the file.

--
James Purser
Producer/Presenter - Linux Australia Update