On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 05:15:16PM +1000, Terry Collins wrote:
> How do people listen to Podcasts from the ABC?
>
> Sadly, as is usual for IT in the ABC, their help pages don't help (just
> another example of why RTFM is not a solution).

I wrote an RSS to HTML translator because I couldn't see the value
in RSS (no doubt someone will explain it to me). Then I just click on
the links in the HTML and download it like any regular file
(oh wow, downloading files, I've only been doing that since I first
got hold of a modem so now I have yet another layer of indirection to
achieve exactly the same result).

For example:

    http://www.bespoke.homelinux.net/rss/The_Science_Show.html

So far no one has come after me for Copyright violation... probably
because hardly anyone reads the pages *SHRUG*. I keep all original
copyright notices in place, I figure that I'm just providing a translation
service for people who don't see RSS as much of an improvement over HTML.
Google seems to index my HTML better than it does the original RSS so
I've noticed search results coming through my page to the original
radio national site. I also note that they have started putting "itunes"
tags into it. I'm torn between filtering them out (on the basis that
they haven't paid for advertising) and trying to preserve original
contact in the cleanest way possible. It didn't take long for trademark
advertising to get into XML tags now did it?

I would like it better if the ABC cut up the show into separate mp3 files
for the articles so you can just download what you actually want but
that might be asking too much... triple-J can do it so the rest of the
ABC might catch up in another 5 years.

       - Tel