Hi Jonathan,

Nice easy fix for this (thanks Terry Dawson). The latest fonts packages seem to want to live in /usr/share/fonts/X11 now, so my old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file wasn't pointing at the right places.

The fonts section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf was changed as per below, and everything is happy now:

## MKC 18/4/2006: Changed font paths from:
##
## /usr/lib/X11/fonts
## /usr/share/fonts/X11
##
## after annoying change in fonts packages after latest upgrade
##

Section "Files"
FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
EndSection

cheers,
Mary Cudmore.

Jonathan Wheelhouse wrote:
Adam Bogacki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I've had some trouble with the latest dist-upgrade.

My Xserver went but creating the symlink

This is a common problem over the last couple of days; see
debian-user.  People have fixed it different ways.

It's caused by the font and module path (amongst other things) moving
to different directories.  You probably(?) also have a customised
xorg.conf.

Probably the easiest way to fix (and what worked for me) is to move
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way (eg $ mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.mine) and run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.  This
will write a new xorg.conf with the correct paths; you can customise
it later with changes from your own xorg.conf later (once you've
ascertained that x window now works).

One other thing; I don't know where that v41 module lives (tried to
find it using aptitude) but commenting it out didn't seem to hurt.