Benno wrote:

> But Bitlocker is a piece of software you have to first install and
> then turn on, not something that comes installed and enabled on the
> machine when you buy it.

The vast majority of machines sold in the western world come with
windows pre-installed.

> There is no reason I can see, in theory, why you couldn't
>
> 1/ Turn off TPM boot
> 2/ Install linux
> 3/ Turn TPM back on checksum-ing the new bootloader.

This raises the bar for people trying to get Linux for the
fist time.

> In any case, my main points were that:
>
> - Bitlocker is an optional feature the you have to enable.

Not if if comes pre-installed on the machine you buy. This
is the rule, not the exception.

> - The "frustration" referred to in the original register article was
> simply about accessing encrypted data, not about not being able to
> dual boot.

I remain unconvinced. Micorsoft would love to make Linux difficult
to install and would love to make Linux something that can only be
run inside a virtual machine running on windows.

Erik