On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 11:32:38AM +1000, Mary Cudmore wrote:
> Re nVidia's Twinview vs Xinerama - it's my understanding that they
> attempt to implement the same functionality, and shouldn't be used
> together. My decision-making was based on the simplistic statement that
> Twinview is nVidia specific and possibly faster, whereas Xinerama does
> cooler things but might be somewhat slower. If this is true, for basic
> cloning with an nVidia card, Twinview is the better way to go.
>
> Anyone else have this idea?

I tend to use Twinview for dual-monitors-on-a-card, partly because (at
least at one point) it seemed to be handle monitors with different
resolutions better.

But FWIW, Twinview and Xinerama do seem to play fine together. One
client has a couple of four-headed setups using 2 Nvidia cards doing
twinview over 2 monitors, and then the two twinviews stitched together
using xinerama.

Getting it working was a bit of a dog, but it's rock solid once it's
working.

Cheers,
Gavin