On Wednesday 10 May 2006 21:23, Murray Waldron allegedly wrote:
<snipped>
> How can you optimize your connection speed on Ubuntu 5.10, when using
> dial-up?
Install a wireless network card, ymmv. ;)

Gnash your teeth at the fact that there is still no standard for compressed
email exchange.

<BEGIN: Mal's rant #298(or so)>
People cry bloat when HTML emails are posted to various lists, yet simple gzip
compression would make such emails smaller then regular uncompressed emails.
For example:
Your post is consuming 3520 bytes of my harddrive space.
Richard's reply to your post is consuming 5458 bytes with its "wicked"
HTMLness.
Richard's gzipped email is 2243 bytes.

It's not like modern CPUs can't handle the load, mail server CPUs are just
kicking back browsing internet porn (have you seen the new Conroe duo with
her heat shield off? *phooar*) whilst they wait for the disks to thrash.

I'd dwell further on the savings in bandwidth and disk space but that's
another rant (125 I think).

Even web browsing has a compression standard.
<END: Mal's rant #298>

Are you trying to optimize something in particular? For web-browsing, turn off
automatic loading of images, etc.

Cheers,
Malcolm V.
--
Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.
                -- Alexander Pope