Hi Howard,

It takes so long to get anything going, I have just killed X instead. Impatient, I know. I've got an instance of 'top' running now and I'm going to keep it going to see what it can tell me. This bugger has been happening about every 24 hrs or so.

Regards,

Patrick

Howard Lowndes wrote:
Are you able to run "top" to see what is hogging the cpu?

elliott-brennan wrote:
Hi all,

I have a

P4 3GHz
1G RAM

Until recently I was running FC4 on the same machine. I installed Ubuntu 5.10 (with KDE) approx three weeks ago. Over the last three days, the machine has started to freeze. Running at the time is usually Konqueror (one instance), gkrellm (one instance), Thunderbird 1.5 and Firefox 1.5 (sometimes with two to four tabs open).

I've only been running Firefox recently (usually run Opera).

I'm usually able to kill X and log back in (though this takes some time to achieve)... as everything is running *extremely* slow, if at all, at the time.

Are there any logs I can check to see what was happening at the time?

Any other advice, redirections or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Patrick

--
Registered Linux User 368634