Jamie Wilkinson wrote:

>> 1995 in fact.

On gmane.org?
I'll assume that this is a brain fart.

>> The email addresses that are published on gmane.org are munged.

You might like to look again. I can clearly see everyone's emails.

  The email

>> addresses published on google groups are munged.
>>
>> SLUG has had mailing list archives since who can remember way back when.
>> They've also had email addresses munged since about 2002, when the ctte I
>> was on set that up.  Are you going to now say you had no idea that SLUG
>> itself was archiving the list publicly too?

I was aware of that as I also publically archived it. When the committee
munged the email addresses, the public archive at WOA was pulled soon
after.

>> Your arguments against public archives of the list are pretty weak.

My argument is that the committee removed posters email addresses on one
hand, but then spread them around more widely with the other hand.

>> As a professional user of Linux,

Then perhaps you might like to contribute to the extra hardware and ISP
costs I have as a result of dealing with spam generated because SLUG has
been surreptitiouslu spreading my email address around.

>> What a pompous elitist attitude to have to say that SLUG is above all
that,
>> that our archives must be closed to only SLUG?

No, it is a decision for members to make. Not for the committee to make
and not tell anyone. Perhaps you might like to get off your pompous arse
and see that such a warning is included in the web pages where people
subscribe.

>> We used to have one of the juiciest page ranks because of the quality
of our
>> mailing list archives.

Gee, I wonder what happened! I wonder if spreading that information
around to everyone actually resulted in our "ranking" dropping.
Quality =/= quantity.

And Quality is !(valid email addresses)

>> Again, it all boils down to community.  I refuse to allow my community to
>> be held hostage by the antisocial behaviour of internet terrorism.  I
am in
>> favour of the gmane archive, the google groups archive, and the archive
>> hosted on SLUG itself.  In fact, we could probably do with more.

lol, patriotism, the last refuge of scoundrels.
I don't apologise for laughing when techos start rabbitting on about
community. It is such a hollow term especially when you've been around
the SLUG community for over ten years.

--
     This message is copyright and may not be re-transmitted
     in any form without the prior written permission of the

     Help give a clueby to undereducated people by siharing
     these email address around.

     <insert private and work emails of past slug committee,
     web and list personell. Hey, if you canshare mine,
     then I can share yours {:-)}}}}>