an option would be to change the list to only subscribers
can post.

that would dramatically cut back spam, at the cost of
accessability

Dean

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
Howard Lowndes wrote:

I have to say that I don't see much spam from SLUG, probably because spamassassin on my own system and the filters in thunderbird are doing a damned fine job.

Yes, but your solution *will* *not* *work* for people receiving the SLUG list in digest mode. When subscribed in digets mode, people
receive one email per day with all email posted to the list. That
means all the rants, all the resonses and all the spam. As far as
I am aware, Spam Assasin cannot be run in any way which filters
spam from non-spam in a single email.

Whats worse is if someone accidentally uses a SLUG digest email
to train their spam filters. If anyone had the misfortune to
do this, I suspect that all email with SLUG related information (Linux, networking, email, server setup, free software etc) will thereafter be considered spam.

Erik